Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Search like an Egyptian

I learned quite a few things from Mr. Nolan's lecture. I knew Google was popular, but i was surprised to find out that 59.8% of all Internet searches are done on Google. I've always been a Yahoo man, myself. It was good to find out that advertising dollars do not determine which sites get highest placement on Google's search results--well, according to Google, anyway. it was very helpful to learn what a url can tell you about a site and that one can often find more specific information about a website at the bottom of the page. I particularly appreciated the detailed information about the powerful "Advanced Search" option on Google. A new piece of information for me was the difference between a directory and a search engine (while a directory is a small collection of sources gathered by a small, connected group, a search engine is a very large collection of sources gathered by thoroughly combing through a multitude of websites, computers, and servers). The web search exercises we did in class were interesting and even fun. Thank you, Mr. Nolan!

No comments: